Monday, May 13, 2019

Monday Thoughts on the Readings for Sunday, May 19th

My apologies, everyone.  As we got closer to Holy Week, my schedule got more and more hectic, and I dropped my practice of sharing my first read of the revised common lectionary passages for the upcoming Sunday worship service.  I'm going to try to re-establish this practice over the next few weeks.

This week, we are re-visiting two stories we heard during Holy Week.  In one case, we are re-reading a passage from the evening of Maundy Thursday.  In another case, we are reading Peter's summary of that happened when he met Cornelius, to whom he addressed the speech we read on Easter Sunday.  We also read the image of heaven, the "New Jerusalem," being established on Earth at the end of the age.

There are many directions we can take from the starting points of these readings.  What do you see within these readings?  What seems to be the most important message?  What questions are you left with?  Which portions do you not recognize?  Let's continue the conversation in the comments below!


Acts 11:1 - 18

Now the apostles and the believers who were in Judea heard that the Gentiles had also accepted the word of God.  2 So when Peter went up to Jerusalem, the circumcised believers criticized him,  3 saying, "Why did you go to uncircumcised men and eat with them?"  4 Then Peter began to explain it to them, step by step, saying, 5 "I was in the city of Joppa praying, and in a trance I saw a vision. There was something like a large sheet coming down from heaven, being lowered by its four corners; and it came close to me.  6 As I looked at it closely I saw four-footed animals, beasts of prey, reptiles, and birds of the air.  7 I also heard a voice saying to me, 'Get up, Peter; kill and eat.'  8 But I replied, 'By no means, Lord; for nothing profane or unclean has ever entered my mouth.'  9 But a second time the voice answered from heaven, 'What God has made clean, you must not call profane.'  10 This happened three times; then everything was pulled up again to heaven.  11 At that very moment three men, sent to me from Caesarea, arrived at the house where we were.  12 The Spirit told me to go with them and not to make a distinction between them and us. These six brothers also accompanied me, and we entered the man's house.  13 He told us how he had seen the angel standing in his house and saying, 'Send to Joppa and bring Simon, who is called Peter; 14 he will give you a message by which you and your entire household will be saved.'  15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them just as it had upon us at the beginning.  16 And I remembered the word of the Lord, how he had said, 'John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.'  17 If then God gave them the same gift that he gave us when we believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could hinder God?"  18 When they heard this, they were silenced. And they praised God, saying, "Then God has given even to the Gentiles the repentance that leads to life."

- Acts 11 is Peter’s retelling of the Peter and Cornelius story (Acts 10) to a group of Jewish Christians who were upset that Peter had met with and baptized non-Jews.  Peter’s defense is simple: God told me to do it.  By the end of the story, the Jewish Christians who confronted Peter celebrate that the Lord is acting among the Gentiles.

- Who would be the “uncircumcised men” in our context?  What individuals or groups would cause shock and offense within the congregation if I met with them instead of approved individuals or groups?

- Does the quote about baptism by water and baptism by the Holy Spirit appear in Acts 10?


Psalm 148

 1 Praise the LORD! Praise the LORD from the heavens; praise him in the heights!
 2 Praise him, all his angels; praise him, all his host!
 3 Praise him, sun and moon; praise him, all you shining stars!
 4 Praise him, you highest heavens, and you waters above the heavens!
 5 Let them praise the name of the LORD, for he commanded and they were created.
 6 He established them forever and ever; he fixed their bounds, which cannot be passed.
 7 Praise the LORD from the earth, you sea monsters and all deeps,
 8 fire and hail, snow and frost, stormy wind fulfilling his command!
 9 Mountains and all hills, fruit trees and all cedars!
 10 Wild animals and all cattle, creeping things and flying birds!
 11 Kings of the earth and all peoples, princes and all rulers of the earth!
 12 Young men and women alike, old and young together!
 13 Let them praise the name of the LORD, for his name alone is exalted; his glory is above earth and heaven.
 14 He has raised up a horn for his people, praise for all his faithful, for the people of Israel who are close to him. Praise the LORD!

- Did we leave anyone or anything out of Psalm 148?


Revelation 21:1 - 6

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more.  2 And I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.  3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying,
"See, the home of God is among mortals.
He will dwell with them;
they will be his peoples,
and God himself will be with them;
4 he will wipe every tear from their eyes.
Death will be no more;
mourning and crying and pain will be no more,
for the first things have passed away."
 5 And the one who was seated on the throne said, "See, I am making all things new." Also he said, "Write this, for these words are trustworthy and true."  6 Then he said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give water as a gift from the spring of the water of life.

- I reference Revelation 21 quite a bit.  I love the image of the New Jerusalem coming down to Earth.  To me, this is an important image because it reverses our typical discussion of heaven.  According to this revelation, heaven is not something that we will find far from creation; heaven is something that will be brought into creation and placed among us.

- The Lord’s promises within this passage are that, at the end, the Lord will live among the Lord’s people and there will be no source of grief, sorrow, or pain within the Kingdom of Heaven.


John 13:31 - 35

 31 When (Judas) had gone out, Jesus said, "Now the Son of Man has been glorified, and God has been glorified in him.  32 If God has been glorified in him, God will also glorify him in himself and will glorify him at once.  33 Little children, I am with you only a little longer. You will look for me; and as I said to the Jews so now I say to you, 'Where I am going, you cannot come.'  34 I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another.  35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."

- John 13:34 – 35 and its focus on the command “love one another” formed the central theme of the 2019 National Day of prayer.

- I just preached on this passage in April as part of our Holy Week services.  How do we hear this passage when it is not connected to our Maundy Thursday service?

No comments:

Post a Comment