Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Saying Hello and Introducing My Project

My name is Curtis.  I am an approved candidate for ordained ministry within the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (or ELCA for short).  I am currently assigned to the Indiana-Kentucky Mission Territory (or Indiana-Kentucky Synod, if you prefer) as I continue my search for my first call.  After I am ordained and installed as pastor of a congregation, I will use this blog as one way I can interact with members of the congregation, residents of the local community, friends, family, people I have met along the course of my life, and others who find their way to this blog.  I hope to discuss theological issues, events in the local community, in the nation, and around the world, and my experiences within my ministry.

As I step into the blogging community, I am also sharing my exploration of the Indiana-Kentucky Mission Territory’s Companion Synod Relationships with both the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Chile (IELCH or “Yelch”) and the Huria Batak Protestant Church (HKBP or Batak Church) on the island of Sumatra, one of the many islands of Indonesia.  These first few posts will describe my entry into this topic, articles I read during my exploration of this topic, and the theology behind these companion synod relationships.  I will also share the viewpoints of three people (Rev. Bimen Limbong, Rev. Tanner Smith, and Rev. Chris Duckworth) whose ministries include direct involvement with church communities around the world.

I invite you to walk with me as I both reveal what I have learned about the ELCA’s companion synod relationships and learn how to create and operate a blog.  As soon as I can figure out how to do so, I will open up the comment feature in Blogger so that you can give feedback, ask questions, tell me why I am wrong, how the ELCA can more effectively build relationships with communities around the world, or bring up the connections you make as you read my posts and others’ comments.  I will read all comments and respond in a timely manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment